Week 4 in Albania

Hello and welcome back to my blog!
As my last week in Albania is approaching I have had a lot of experience with the food in the country. I noticed that meals are served way later in the day than we eat in America like lunch is around 3pm and dinner is served around 10. Along with that it’s very normal to have a glass of wine with your meal considering there is no exact drinking age enforced. Bread and feta cheese are part of almost all meals and because most of the country runs on agriculture food is extremely fresh and tasty. Fast food culture is very interesting in the country there are triangular flaky breads filled with different veggies or cheese called byrek that are sold all over the streets along with sufllaqe which are gyros filled with veggies and french fries topped with a homemade yogurt sauce.  Also coffee and crapes are a huge attraction. Meat is extremely fresh and I have noticed that is well done in most restaurants.  People are always at coffee shops for breakfast or before dinner. There are coffee shops at almost every street and they are all full at all times of the day. Little shot coffees ( makiattos) are super popular. It’s safe to say food is going to be one of the things I will miss the most from this country.

One thought on “Week 4 in Albania

There really is nothing like going to another country and having the chance to experience the culinary delights that it has to offer! I am very glad that you’ve had the opportunity to do this during your time abroad. It always amazes me, as an American, how late dinner is typically served in Europe, and how long it lasts. But, it’s nice to have that time to really slow down and take things easy rather than have the hustle-and-bustle of American meals, where we tend to try to cram in food as fast as possible! My encouragement to you would be to try as many different foods as you can during your time overseas, as you don’t know when you’ll get the chance to have so many different foods again.