Blue World Institute| #3

One big difference I noticed between Croatia and the United States is the food. In Croatia food is more localized and processed food is harder to come by. A bag of fruit costs less than a bag of cookies. The quality of food is also higher, whereas in the US people have to pay for quality. Our dinners here have been amazing. The Croatian diet is similar to the Italian diet. On the island there is a lot of fresh seafood and homemade wine. In addition to the food tasting great, it is also rather cheap. One of the most memorable meals I had was with the interns and employers at a beautiful spot in the middle of a golden grassy field. Marko, one of the researchers, swore that this restaurant had the best salad on the island, and he was right! We ordered a big bowl of salad, fresh fish, bacon wrapped chicken, and homemade bread. With the bread came Ajvar, a red pepper paste, which me and the other interns have been obsessing over ever since we got to Croatia. Croatians also love rakija. Rakija to the Croatians is Vodka to the Poles. After the dinner we got dessert rakija shots with fresh fruit crushed inside. This  dinner, including a whole fish, cost only fifteen dollars per person! In addition, this particular meal, like all the others, lasted for over an hour. The length of dinners was something I had to get use to, coming from college where scarfing down a meal in five minutes was the norm. It definitely was a great change of pace!

One thought on “Blue World Institute| #3

Ah, yes–European meal time is quite an experience compared with the hustle-and-bustle that characterizes American mealtimes. I am so glad to hear that you have been able to try the local cuisine and the low prices that come with eastern European eating! I well remember my first time in eastern Europe and being shocked at how cheap everything was–and how good it was, too! I’d say eat to your heart’s content while you are there, because you never know when you’ll have the chance to eat so much good food again.