Favorite Experience #5

While being at my internship there were many memorable moments such as going to the court for master calendar hearings or seeing people receive their new green card or social security card. But my favorite experience was helping a woman who was a survivor of domestic violence. One day my supervising attorney came to me and said I have a project for you. I was very neutral and just replied with ‘ok’. He said to me that I would have to call her and fill out the applications through the phone. Of course I went ahead and studied up on how those type of applications were supposed to be filled out; I learned that what she was applying for was a U Visa which was focused on people who suffered from domestic violence. At first it was hard to communicate because some words were just too complex and I could translate them to Spanish as quick as I wanted to. Thankfully she was patient and I finished filling out her application after three hours. I assembled everything and she had to come in to the office for an appointment and a final overview of her application. The day that she came in, we sat down and she came with her mother, brother, and youngest son. The look on her face was priceless, she was such a nice lady and looked very caring and the way she had support from her family was just great. What stood out to me the most was when the attorney was looking over the application and whispered next to me “very good job on this application”. I was so proud of myself for putting everything together and I really go to feel what it’s like o help someone out.  And when all the applications were signed and the lady was heading out she looked at me and said ‘thank you so much’ and her mother and brother did the same and they shook my hand. I felt like I really did something, and I felt the need to continue to help more people; thanks to this experience I am more motivated to pursue a career in law.

One thought on “Favorite Experience #5

Osvaldo,

Hearing about the difference you made in this women’s life is incredible! You talk about it with such passion and the great work you did really helped her in the long run. I am so glad you are having an amazing experience and getting to learn so much about a career in law. I truly believe that hands on experience is the best way to determine what you want to do.

I am very impressed with your diligence to learn new tasks and even getting to know the people you work with. In the end it led to an amazing professional mentor! How do you plan to stay connected with her once your internship ends? She sounds like an individual who could bring amazing advice to the table.

I am looking forward to reading your last journal entry!

-Shaina