Summer Internship 2018 ✓ | #6

It’s been almost a week since I left Cleveland, which gave me more time to reflect about my experiences. Overall, it’s definitely an experience that was mostly positive. I met a lot of great people at KeyBank and the church I was attending.

These were some of my takeaways:

1. Even though my internship was not anything like I wanted, I still learned a lot from the projects my supervisors gave me. I learned to be more patient with people and be more understanding. While this internship was extremely rough, I learned more people skills and how to challenge my manager’s feedback in a professional way.
  2. I learned to make the most out of my experience. When I first arrived to the city, I thought my experience would be 100% defined by my work place. Fortunately, it wasn’t. I was able to find new communities to be part of and reached out to mutual friends. I made sure I tried to meet as many new people as I could and be as involved as possible
  3. Being a new person in the city is hard, but I learned to be more initiative with the people I’ve met. I can’t just expect and wait for people to want to get to know me better. I can also initiate meet ups / hang outs.

Those were definitely the top three things I learned from my experience. I’m glad that I was able to go to Cleveland for the summer to live life away from people I am close with like my family and friends. It was definitely challenging in the beginning and I remembered I was easily discouraged. However, being initiative with others helped a lot. It made moving to a new city much easier. For my next summer internship, wherever that may be, I hope I will be able to be more positive about my experience in the beginning. Even though the city may not have been super exciting, I am happy to say I did all I could to make my experience as awesome as possible.

One thought on “Summer Internship 2018 ✓ | #6

Ailun, thank you for sharing what you learned from your internship. It sounds like you were able to make the best of your experience despite it not being ideal. I applaud your positive outlook for your next summer internship! I think an important thing to do now to start preparing for having a good future internship experience would be to identify what you feel went well in your internship, and what didn’t, and see if you can figure out the “why” behind all of it and what you might want to do about it in the future. For example, you said in one of your posts that you got to work on making visual aids, and that you enjoy doing that. Maybe this means that an internship or even career focusing more on visual elements, such as information visualization, is a good path for you–or maybe not! Just an example. I think it’s important to think about what you didn’t like and why–was it a culture issue? If so, what didn’t you like about the culture? What might you want to look for in a workplace in the future? As you think through these questions, definitely make sure to come in to our office to meet with a Hub Coach. They can help you think this through and make a plan for how to use this information.

I do want to acknowledge that this is your 6th post, so you have completed your requirement for us. I have really enjoyed following your experience this summer and appreciate that you were willing to share candidly with me what you were feeling. I hope we get to meet in person in the Hub someday!

Maggie