Takeaway | #6

Taking the time to reflect on my internship experience, I realized I learned a great deal about leadership, teamwork, corporate culture, and the culture of the company I was at, specifically. This experience has helped me in realizing the important of company culture and communication in the workplace among teams. It showed me how important enjoying the company of those around you was.

For me, internship experiences are a great way to figure out aspects you would like/dislike in a potential career. I’d prefer not to have a rigid schedule or to sit at a desk continuously. Hopefully, next summer I would get a taste of something in consulting with even more projects and continuous change/movement.

During this internship, I met so many great interns, a wonderful company, and an amazing team. It’s only thanks to all of them that I was able to have such a rewarding summer experience. My favorite project during this internship would have to be the outreach calls. Honestly, this wasn’t something that I particularly was excited for every morning, but it was a great way for me to practice speaking with executives on the phone. Also, I found that it was helpful in sounding more confident and knowledgeable about what I was speaking about, with and without a script. I also had a presentation in which I learned so much about the competitive landscape and my presentation itself, through valuable feedback.

I wish I knew to be more vocal throughout my experience, whether it was regarding my input on projects or reaching out to other people. For other people planning to do an internship at this organization, I would definitely recommend it. There are so many amazing people invested in this program, or volunteering to be mentors (officially and not). The entire program is so well organized and set up for the interns to make the most out of it. I do have to note that interning in the city might take some getting used to with the transportation and environment though. I’m still working on it, but between feedback and the outreach calls, I think I’ve grown a thicker skin. My perspective of what working the corporate 9-5 office life has also changed since it wasn’t the idea I expected when I was younger. Moving forward, I’m considering the healthcare field more, but am still pretty set on working towards a consulting career. The internship experience has influenced my future career by allowing me to realize my own preferences. Thank you to Greater New York Hospital Association for a wonderful summer and thank you all for reading about my experience!

One thought on “Takeaway | #6

Angie,

I am so glad you enjoyed your internship experience! It sounds like you learned a lot and were able to connect with people in the company.

It sounds as if you’ve already begun reflecting on your experience and how it connects with your professional aspirations. Reflecting helps you to develop your skills and review their effectiveness, rather than just carry on doing things as you have always done them. But you have even began stating things you wish you would have done differently which shows how much the internship taught you even if the field of work did not feed your passion!

But once again, I am so excited for you in hearing your internship wasn’t exactly what you expected, but maybe exactly what you needed to learn more about your professional goals. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

-Shaina