Michigan Campaign Work: Blog Post #1

Hello all!

My name is Jessica and I’m a rising senior and double-majoring in the Environment and Political Science. This summer I am a Sierra Club intern for both Gretchen Driskell for U.S Congress and Donna Lasinski for State Rep. Through the Sierra Club I am encouraged to approach work with an environmental focus, providing advice for communications relating to the environment. Additionally, this internship will include canvassing, phone banking, event and general campaign organizing, communications work (i.e social media), and regular office work that will be utilized to benefit the campaign.

This is my first time working on a political campaign, and I still am figuring out the process of how they function and the role I play in the campaigns. Since not yet starting with Donna Lasinski’s campaign, I have only experienced the needs of Gretchen Driskell’s campaign so far. For her campaign, I have both phone banked and done some door knocking. Since being used to talking to potential supporters of campaigns and other political issues (having worked for Clean Water Action) I felt ready to talk to supporters on the phone and remind them of volunteer possibilities. We used a software called DNC Votebuilder (aka NGP VAN), which is very common among Democratic political campaigns to track contact information on their supporters. It’s super new to me and it makes voter contact a lot easier! With it, everything feels organized and structured, which was a pleasant surprise compared to my expectations of campaigns generally being a bit chaotic. Either way, I’m really excited for things to get going and I can’t wait to share my adventures with you all!

Jessica

One thought on “Michigan Campaign Work: Blog Post #1

Hello Jessica – My name is Kate, and I’m a Coach at the Opportunity Hub. Thanks for all of your posts, which I will be reading alongside Hub Intern Zane. It sounds like you had a great experience working on the Driskell and Lasinski campaigns, and we’re looking forward to learning more about your accomplishments!