Back Again at ITS | #1

May 11th, 2018

I’m very excited to be working at the University of Michigan’s ITS for another summer. The experiences I had last summer were excellent for my personal development, so I’m going in with high expectations.

This summer, I’m in a second year program and will be known as an ITS ‘fellow’. With this position, there will be a few extra responsibilities, such as helping to lead group retreats on Fridays, and giving a few extra presentations. I hope that my experiences as a fellow will be beneficial, but what I look forward to even more is the actual work that I’ll be doing. After the internship program ended last summer, I ended up working for the same team as a temp employee throughout the year. The work throughout the year was enjoyable and productive, so I’m excited to get back into it with a full time position.

Over this first week, the work I actually ended up doing was just finalizing a few things that I had been working on during the temp position. These involved writing a plugin software development guide, which one of the new interns in my department will actually be using in his work. It will be helpful to receive direct feedback on that project, as I have not done much technical writing before and would like to know how concise or easy to follow the guide is. With that now temporarily complete, I should be able to start some new projects early next week, or perhaps even change direction entirely and work on something unrelated, if I choose.

On an unrelated note, I’ve brought a car to Ann Arbor this summer which is very convenient for getting to and from work. Last year, I needed to ride the bus for 40-50 minutes both ways every day, which ended up being quite annoying. I’m definitely going to be enjoying having a set of wheels.

2 thoughts on “Back Again at ITS | #1

Hi Ryan, my name is Maggie and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer to learn about your experience.

It is definitely really helpful to be able to receive feedback from the people who will be using your guide! Great work thinking of this and reaching out for the feedback.

Maggie

• September 7, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Hi Maggie! My apologies for a ridiculously late response – it seems that I had notifications off, and didn’t realize anyone was commenting here.

Yep, feedback is always appreciated when tackling something new (or old). I actually didn’t end up working on that guide again, since everything else started coming so fast. Might go back to touch up on it sometime during this semester though!

Ryan