Back Again at ITS | #3

June 15th, 2018

The internship has been going for over a month now, and things have still been progressing smoothly. In my department projects, I have successfully written Ansible scripts to deploy a Docker perfSONAR container, as well as build and deploy a perfSONAR LXC container. With the LXC container, the use case is a bit different. We’ve acquired some devices from the networking company Juniper, particularly one known as a QFX, in which we plan to attempt the installation of perfSONAR. The device allows for containerized applications to run on it, which is where LXC is able to come into play. Working with another network engineer, Amy Liebowitz, I was able to successfully install the container on the device, and the software works as it should. However, there isn’t any network connectivity to the space in which the container is hosted, which is our current main problem. We plan to work with engineers from Juniper to try and solve this.

For the cohort, our project was approved and we have begun working on the dashboard design process. The first step in this process is to interview several students of different backgrounds, to gather some opinions regarding data privacy, as well as some insight into the end design of the actual product. Conducting them will also help to build soft skills. UX design interns on our team plan to go through several iterations of the design, while myself and one other intern will work on the actual development. To develop the dashboard, we will likely stick with a central framework and build off of that – we’re thinking about using bootstrap.

Furthermore, as part of the fellowship program, I have a few extra tasks I’ve begun to look into. One of them is that I must interview a leader of my choice in the organization, to learn about leadership techniques and collect advice, for a presentation that will occur later in the program. I will also have to give a ‘Learner’s Series’, which is an hour long presentation at one of the Friday retreats, on a topic of my choice. I think I’m going to talk about Free Software (free as in libre) for this presentation, since it’s something I’m quite passionate about, and should be able to present on quite easily. I mentioned before that one of my summer goals is to improve on confidence while public speaking, so this will be a good opportunity to do so.

2 thoughts on “Back Again at ITS | #3

Congratulations on having your project accepted, Ryan! I’m excited to follow along as you work on it. It’s really valuable to get to work with interns focused on other areas, like UX design interns, because it’ll be very similar to work you’ll do in a full-time professional job.

It sounds like you’ve identified an opportunity to work on that public speaking skill you mentioned by speaking in the Learner’s Series. I’m really glad to hear it! Now that the speech is over, I’d love to hear what some ways you prepared for the presentation were and how you feel it contributed to your public speaking skills.

Maggie

• September 7, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Thank you! And yes, I agree completely. Working on a team like this is a great exercise to practice with for a full time job later down the road.

For our project pitch speech, we prepared by going through the slides a few times together, and deciding who would speak about what. I covered the technical parts of it since I’d be doing the development, which wasn’t too difficult to speak about. It honestly didn’t contribute too much since I need to focus more on individual speaking, but it was still helpful.