Back Again at ITS | #6

August 10th, 2018

Well, the program has all finished, and it ended well! This last week has been hectic, but it’s been good.

In my department, we received some new routers from yet another company, Arista, which seem to have promise in running perfSONAR through Docker. This company seems to be leading the charge in the industry since they have native Docker support, so I look forward to working with these devices more, when I continue working part time later in the year.

There was a sort of symposium today, just like there was at the end of the program last year, where everyone was able to show off their projects with a poster board, and some interns gave talks about what they did. My cohort group gave a talk about our project which went quite well, and I explained my project details to many individuals who were interested. The whole thing went well, and the program administrators took us out to dinner afterwords, which was quite nice of them.

Overall I had a great experience across the program. I was able to build my networking and soft skills, built many new technical skills, and will be able to continue working during the year, just like last year. This time around I’ll be working for both my department and the cohort team, so I look forward to continue on both projects. Everything has been great, and I’m very glad to have had the experience again.

2 thoughts on “Back Again at ITS | #6

Ryan, it sounds like you have learned a lot of new things in your internship, despite the fact that you’ve worked with ITS before. It’s nice to be able to have some consistency and keep building on the relationships you’ve already formed while still learning new things. As you think back over what you’ve done at ITS overall, do you feel you have a clear sense of what you want to do after you graduate? Do you hope to work in IT in a higher ed institution like ITS?

I do want to acknowledge that this is your 6th blog post, so you have completed your requirements for us. I have enjoyed reading your posts and hope we get to meet in the Hub someday!

Maggie

• September 9, 2018 at 11:27 am

After having completed another summer at ITS, it hasn’t necessarily given me a clear sense of what I want to do. However, it has shed light on more potential options for a career path. You don’t really have the opportunity to work with embedded systems and other technologies that I have in classes or in everyday life, so I’ve been given an extra edge there that could be helpful knowing in the future.

While I did enjoy working in IT, I think I’d like to work for a company that’s more on the edge of innovation, where everything we’re working on is brand new, or really means something to the world. I was lucky since the projects I was working on were exactly that, but in IT I don’t believe that’s usually the case. For such a large organization like the University of Michigan, processes tend to move quite slowly and projects will go on for years, since everything has to be stable and releases into such a large pool of users must go smoothly. I’m not sure if I’d want to work on projects like those for a large chunk of my life.

I’m glad you enjoyed reading them! I hope we can meet someday as well.

Best,
      Ryan