It’s all about the BALANCE baby! | Blog Post #3

At the beginning of my internship I was eager to get started, excited to take on new projects, and overjoyed by the countless number of opportunities presented to me. I had big plans… I would work on my self-led retrospective study, put in numerous hours in my lab, study for the MCAT, travel, and so much more…. While I did accomplish many of these things, I wish that I had then understood the value of adequate preparation, planning, and balance. While the summer is indeed a time to let loose and do all of the things you don’t have time to do during he semester, it is also important to take on these challenges in moderation.

A few times during the summer I felt burned out and like I was in need of an escape from the pressure that I had put on myself. As I look back on my experience, I wish that I had taken more time to breathe and enjoy the moments. I wish that I hadn’t spent so much time ripping and running. I wish that I had more time to watch TV and swim. Although I don’t regret any of this summer’s accomplishments, I think that I could accomplished just as much, if not more, if I had put “me” first.

If I had to redo my internship I wouldn’t choose a different one or work less hours, but I would change the way that I used my time outside of work. I believe that this would have made my internship that much more enjoyable! Nonetheless, I enjoyed and still am) the lessons that I’ve learned and the ways that I have grown this summer.

One thought on “It’s all about the BALANCE baby! | Blog Post #3

Hi Sydni!
    My name is Beth and I’m one of the coaches at the LSA Opportunity Hub. It’s been a pleasure to read your posts about your work with Lok Lab this summer. What a great opportunity to gain clinical and work experience, as well as further delve into a research study.

It sounds like a lot of the work encouraged being detail oriented, managing patient appointments and tracking their engagement. Were there other skills you felt like you’ve gained or continued to grow along the way?

Oof, thanks so much for sharing your mishap with the patient blood draw – and how you were able to repair the situation and move forward! It can be tough to address a mistake, handle it maturity, learn from it, and move on. It sounds like you did all the right things in contacting the patient, being honest, and collaborating with your supervisor to compensate the patient. Although I’m sure you didn’t love the learning moment, I’m glad to hear how you used it in shaping your work moving forward!

Great reflection on the value of activities in moderation, and making time for yourself. Life can be so go-go-go, it’s important to find down time, in whatever form works for you. How might you do this during the school year, knowing all the things that will be coming your way?

Thanks for sharing your learning and growth from this summer!
    Beth