Last Day at Dark Horse

This is my last day working at Dark Horse Entertainment. I’m not entirely sure what to say here that hasn’t been talked about in the highlight reel/chronicling of my summer anxieties that have been these blog posts. I’m not even sure that I’ve been doing these right all along, which could be a nice surprise to end the summer on. All this is to say, I hope I’m forgiven if a lot of this is cribbed from the evaluation I just wrote on my internship.

The one thing that is absolutely inarguable is that I am better and more well-equipped to pursue a future in filmmaking and writing for having worked at Dark Horse. I’ve accomplished here most of what I hoped to by coming out to Los Angeles: I was able to write coverage for other scripts – in the future I hope to be able to do this quicker, as a single script would take me way too long to get through – and get coverage written on my own work, in addition to simply learning by proximity and osmosis how a company like Dark Horse functions. Watching projects come closer and closer to fruition was a terrific opportunity to understand how Hollywood can work for writers and producers, and many of the assignments that sent me to Studio System to do some research resulted in the same sort of learning.

Then there was the trip to San Diego Comic-Con, which I think I mentioned was a bucket list item for me and really live up to expectations. It was an exhausting week during which I subsisted almost exclusively on fruit snacks, Cheez-Its, and Red Bull, but it was an opportunity I honestly wasn’t sure I’d ever get. Being at the con itself was a huge plus and will look decent on a resume in addition to the bragging rights it earns me in certain circles of nerdery, but it also helped me to meet people, both interns from DHE’s past and people with full-time jobs with Dark Horse Comics in Seattle. I’ve kept in touch with a few on Facebook, and as a person with pretty severe anxiety, meeting people is kind of a rare occurrence for me.

If there was one thing I didn’t like, it was the downtime. There were occasionally entire days that would go by where there wasn’t much for me to do, and I’d wind up just sitting around. My problem with this comes less from a place of boredom or annoyance and more from feeling guilty that I’m not working on something for every single second I’m in the office. I’ve had the same thing happen at a lot of jobs I’ve had before at gas stations and movie theaters; during downtime I kept looking for something to do until my bosses told me it was okay to just tool around on my phone.

That’s small beans compared to the overall great experience I’ve had this summer. I’m flying back to Michigan on Tuesday, and I’ll probably write my last blog post — this one about my experiences with Los Angeles the city as opposed to just work — from the terminal at LAX.

One thought on “Last Day at Dark Horse

Jeremiah, you are totally doing this right, no need to worry. You are reflecting on your experience and what you’re feeling about all of it, which is exactly what you’re supposed to be doing!

It sounds like, in general, you went into this internship thinking you wanted to work in writing and filmmaking after college, and you’re coming out of this internship not only having confirmed that this is the career path you’d like to take, but with some good experience under your belt to help you navigate this world and to put on a resume. I’d call that a win.

I know what you mean about downtime–it feels bad to be at work but not given anything to do. Hopefully, in your future jobs, once you’re a permanent staff member, you’ll both be given more to do and have more authority to make your own work. One thing, though, in the meantime, that you can try is either asking for more work (which it sounds like you may have done) or coming up with things to do yourself. It’s always good to ask your boss if it’s ok if you do those things. One of the hardest things to learn in a workplace but one of the most valuable is initiative–seeing what needs to be done and just doing it.

Maggie