Michigan Campaign Work: Blog Post #3

Back again!

This week I started working on Donna Lasinski’s campaign (the second campaign I’m working on), and it has been pretty interesting! My work hours are usually half a day working in the campaign office and the remaining half is out knocking doors. Having experienced some pretty tough non-profit canvassing in the past, my expectations for campaign-knocking were that the shifts were just as difficult. However, I was surprised on how pleasant it was! I was able to have good conversations with people and enjoyed the golden hours of summer. Additionally, we used the MiniVAN app which made finding homes and jotting down the statistics very convenient. I’ve heard that a lot of campaigns use this and it’s been very helpful and easy to learn! They ask me to occasionally help with finance work on the team, which is always a fun change of pace in my regular office time.

I also went to my first candidate forum this week, where I got to listen to a lot of local officials and candidates talk about their plans for Ann Arbor! It was interesting to hear them speak to the community in an intimate environment while enjoying adult refreshments. Everyone was very relaxed and I enjoyed seeing the candidates in such an accepting environment, where they felt free to express their opinions. This event really made me feel that the political environment is more accepting than what it seems on the outside, and I can’t wait to get involved!

One thing I’ve definitely noticed is that there is a sharp contrast between working on a state rep election and a U.S  rep election and I’ve been working on balancing my time for them evenly. It has been a bit of a challenge, and I’m hoping everything will eventually click into place the more I work. I’m excited to see what this has in store, and I’m prepared to talk to all new people and learn from my peers in the process.

Jessica

One thought on “Michigan Campaign Work: Blog Post #3

Hi, Jessica! My name is Zane Harding and I am an intern at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I will be responding to your posts over the next week or so. Just a heads up, this response will respond to your first three posts, and the next response will be to the final three posts.

First, I love your picture with the throne of Gretchen Driskell signs. That picture just screams “confidence.” Second, I am glad that things were less chaotic than you expected. I’ve heard some stories of campaign chaos in the past myself, so I’m glad the Driskell campaign was efficient.

Not structuring yourself into a 9-5 workday honestly sounds pretty tough! I have to keep myself in that structure with work myself or else I don’t allocate free time properly to unwind and relax. I would be curious to hear how you dealt with that flexibility.

It really sounds like technology has improved the quality-of-life in campaigns based on your early experiences with Donna Lasinski’s campaign. It also sounds like you really enjoyed the candidate forum you attended! I’m glad to hear that things are more accepting within that political environment than they seem from, say, my vantage point.

Was it tough to balance these two campaigns? Would you do that again in the future? Would love to hear your thoughts.