On Loneliness | #2

(NOTE! For the majority of my time at Moy House, I did not have internet access. I am transcribing my journal entries after the fact! This was written in June)

I have been spending a lot of time on my own for the last couple of weeks. I am the only worker at Moy House other that my supervisor, Sarah. She has a long laundry list of tasks that need to get done, and because of that we usually split up doing jobs. I also have been living on my own this first month of being in Ireland. I am spending a lot of time thinking to myself and listening to audio books. I don’t think that I have ever spent this much time completely on my own. It is giving me ample time to reflect on my college experience so far. Overall, I have enjoyed my time at the University. The connections I have made with the people I love are vital to the person I am becoming. I am thankful for the less-good things I have been through because they prompt growth, which is hard but eventually leads to something worthwhile. Doing this much reflection is starting to become overwhelming. I am beginning to realize that I truly am an extrovert. I gain energy from talking with others and being intellectually stimulated in classes; I think I am missing school as a whole. I think not being around other people my age makes traveling less exciting. When I see something- whether it is art, a person with a cool haircut, or a funny greeting card, I crave the conversation that comes with seeing those things. I like myself best when I am sitting in a circle outside talking about anything, and it is hard to do that on my own in a town where I don’t know anybody.

Don’t get me wrong, I am still so happy here. I feel like I am learning so much about gardening. Being outside this much has helped me gain some mental clarity. I am growing into the person I need to be, which is incredibly exciting. I am moving into a house with coworkers at Moy and I believe a new wwoofer is joining me at the farm. These are all very exciting things!! I am in a rut right now, but I think that new people coming into my life is going to be helpful to remaining present in this experience.

Moy House Gardens feat. 2 piggies!