The End: Growth and Belonging

Towards the beginning of this year, I was struggling to even keep myself afloat with my grades. I was spending hours upon hours getting extra tutoring and working myself to exhaustion just to get my GPA up to stay in school. I was stressing myself out due to my own shortcomings. I was at a low point in college and self-confidence that I haven’t been to before. I was doubting my own abilities knowing that in a few months I would be thousands of miles away at an internship that I wasn’t sure I was qualified for. Now, several months later with my internship completed, things have changed.  I have never felt more motivated and driven than I am now. Being in California at Workday helped me accomplish some much-needed soul-searching. It also allowed me to learn so much about work life in the tech industry, how to work with a small team to complete projects, being able to learn on the fly, and how to manage your time. Being surrounded by such an amazing and supportive group of people really helped me adapt well to this new environment and enabled me to thrive in my internship. However, I believe the most important thing I learned and my own personal theme for my time at Workday was one phrase: “You belong here”. Even during the beginning of my internship, I was still having doubts about my abilities and if I would be able to perform well. Yet as I started to complete projects and began to open myself up to other people, my mindset changed. I began to fully understand that Workday chose me because they had confidence in me and they felt that I would be an asset for their company. They recruited me because they felt I was worth being a part of their culture. That is something to be proud of. Now that my internship is over, I can now wholeheartedly say that I truly belong in computer science and the tech industry. This internship not only gave me an experience of a lifetime but it has helped me understand my purpose. Now that I know that purpose, I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me.

One thought on “The End: Growth and Belonging

Hi Olajide. It has been amazing to follow your experience and see the growth that you have made from your first to last post. The transition into a new work environment can be difficult, but like you said one must be patient. You have learned so many lessons from your internship like working with a small team and time management, which can be transferred to future positions and will help you in other roles. From these skills and your other experiences, I am happy to hear that you now feel like you belong in the computer science field and tech industry. If you want to begin exploring what future positions and roles look like in this field, a coach at the Hub can talk with you during drop ins or by setting up a coaching appointment (drop ins are M-TH 9-11:45 and you can stop by the Hub or call 734-763-4674 to schedule an appointment)!