Fundraising and Networking | Working for a Non-Profit #4

Working for Mercy-USA showed me that networking is essential for professional development. Having access to someone with professional experience to ask for advice or guidance pushes you toward career success.  Networking is a major part of working for a non-profit organization. It is important to build professional relationships that are based on mutual trust and commitment, because most of the work can’t be done individually. We utilize multiple methods to reach out and collaborate with different communities to reach our goals. For example, the organization hosted several fundraiser dinners in Michigan in the past year. Another method of networking that they use is traveling to different states to attend conventions. People from various states and countries attend conventions to build professional connections.
Our next networking event is going to be in Huston, and it would be a great opportunity for me to represent the organization with my teammates, to help them raise funds for their future projects. In conventions, we try to present our projects using technology, to make the experience more relatable and realistic. In the last convention, the organization used a 3d virtual-reality headset to display a video about a Syrian family. The VR video displayed their unfortunate circumstances of living in a camp for refugees in Lebanon, and how harsh their life was.  I am looking forward to come up with new methods and ideas to exhibit our future plans for Detroit city, while building new connections.  

One thought on “Fundraising and Networking | Working for a Non-Profit #4

Abrar, I couldn’t agree more about the importance of networking and relationships. I believe it is critical in any field – after all, there’s a reason the saying, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know” exists. It’s certainly been true for me in my own career, and I actively try and make sure to build those networks both on campus and off.

Have you gotten to do much networking within the organization as well? For both your Mercy-USA and partner contacts, do you intend to stay in touch after your internship ends? Following up every few months via email, LinkedIn, a coffee or lunch date, or a personal note go a long way to keep the network alive.

Has your internship with Mercy-USA ended? I hope you got to go to that convention in Houston. And using the VR headset to help tell the story of the Syrian family…wow.