Blog Post Week 3

The doctor who I’ve been working for this summer is awesome. He is a young black male and I look up to him as a mentor. He is able to talk about the struggles and obstacles he faced while trying to become an emergency medicine doctor and show me why it was all worth it. He tells me about all of the different ways to get a head start in learning about something like emergency medicine. I’ve learned about the difficulties and the problems with emergency medicine. But I’ve also learned about the amazing ways you can help people. The amount of knowledge you must have about the body to be an emergency medicine doctor is unbelievable. He really takes time to break down and explain all the charts to me and to make sure I know what is going on. When going from room to room, he’s able to talk to me about the different things he looked for in each patient. He also makes jokes when something is a little gross to see if I can handle it. For example, we were in a room that smelled VERY bad, and after he asked how I handled that. I didn’t think it was awful, and he told me that is not even the worst of it.