Charting Ahead | #6

It is important to take any experience you have – good or bad – and map it in regard to how and where you want to move forward in the future. Every experience can teach you something: whether it is as simple as “that is something I do not want to do again.”

Thus, as my internship began to draw to a close, I started to reflect on how this experience fits in my future academic and professional plans.

Since the beginning of my time in college, I have struggled with the exact path I wanted to take in terms of my studies and internship opportunities. I knew I had a great interest in politics and current events – yet I wasn’t sure where that exactly fit in terms of my degree and my professional career. Was this something I am just interested in and can read about in my spare time while I pursue other opportunities? I had been encouraged by many to pursue more “safe” options, and for a while, I had listened.

However, after evaluating what truly drives me and where my passion lies, I decided there were multiple ways I can pursue this interest in ways beyond being a passive observer. Thus, this internship, incorporating studies in statistics, politics, elections, and basic public service, truly helped me hone in on these passions and aspirations. To be able to work toward a goal that I believed was not just “greater” than I am, but also beneficial to many others was truly rewarding. In face, this experience has only further solidified my interests and has opened me up to the many different types of experiences that can fall under the broad “political” umbrella.

I hope to continue pursuing similar experiences in the future, and I plan to take the skills and knowledge I have learned in terms of elections and content creation with me to any future opportunity.

One thought on “Charting Ahead | #6

Alex,

I am so glad you had such an amazing internship experience and found a location where you felt you belonged and shared passions with those around you!

I am very impressed that you’ve already begun reflecting on your internship experience and how it relates to your professional aspirations. Reflecting helps you to develop your skills and review their effectiveness, rather than just carry on doing things as you have always done them.

Now that you have solidified your passions of politics and current events you can begin exploring more options! I want to wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

-Shaina