Gdansk

Last week I went to Gdansk. It was, by far, my favorite city in Poland. It was mostly destroyed during World War II; however, it was rebuilt into the most beautiful city in Europe that I have ever seen. The buildings were plastered with detail, the river was flowing through the city, and a festival was in full swing. I was able to go on a walking to go on a walking tour and learned about some very famous individuals who were born there. Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit was born in this city. Although Americans are one of the few who still use this system, he is memorialized within the city with a monument of the thermometer (a representation of one he invented using mercury). Another great man that was born here was Arthur Schopenhauer. We saw the house where this great philosopher was born. These sights were very impactful. While here I also made the trip to see the Baltic Sea. It was not at all like I imagined it. It appeared to be black, but not dirty. I had been to beaches that were dirty and this was completely different. It was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. After returning from the beach I walked around old town and enjoyed the city once more before having to return home to be ready for work on Monday.

One thought on “Gdansk

Samantha,

Thanks for sharing about your trip to Gdansk – sounds like you had a nice time!

Working abroad can be a tricky experience – sometimes, we can get so caught up in making sure we are meeting expectations at work and dealing with the moments of cultural dissonance in that atmosphere that we don’t take the time to explore a new place and culture in a natural, organic way. I’m glad that you got the opportunity to take in some of the sights, smells, and sounds of a new place on your own time.

What did you observe in between the lines? Did people interact in a certain way that you found interesting? What nuances did you observe in everyday life outside of the work environment that is just categorically different from how things are back home? I really encourage you to reflect on some of these cultural differences – not only do they expand your own competencies and understanding, but they can also inform some of your decision making moving forward in regards to what kinds of environments you need personally and professionally!

-Josh