TBT Thoughts | Blog #6

It’s been about a week since I left New York. I’ve had a little bit of time to reflect on my summer and how crazy fast it went so I figured I would share some of my thoughts with you!

Working at Comedy Central was a dream come true. I’ve watched the Daily Show for years. I grew up laughing to South Park and seeing my brother watch Tosh.0. The Roast of Justin Bieber was genuinely one of my favorite things I watched when I was younger. Basically said, I grew up with Comedy Central and the fact that for ten weeks I was able to be in the environment that created all these iconic programs was an insane whirlwind of an experience for me.

My bosses, shoutout to them, were amazing and instrumental in my success. They gave me the freedom to learn and make mistakes and fix those mistakes. They allowed and trusted me to do projects I never thought I’d have the chance to touch. I learned the ins and outs of the entertainment industry more than I ever thought I could. It was pretty sad to leave and say bye to the people I laughed with, gossiped with, and talked Bachelor with, but I’m ecstatic that I got to work with my dream team.

Ah, New York. There are some things I won’t miss about New York namely the price of everything, the mass amounts of people everywhere, the rush everyone’s in, and about 100 other things. But New York had a certain charm to it. It had everything a person could want and everything was easily accessible. I met some amazing people I wouldn’t have had the chance to if I never came to New York. I learned the transit system which I never thought I could. And most importantly, I really branched out and learned what independence meant. New York taught me that making decisions by myself and being confident in those decisions isn’t just good – it’s necessary. I want to travel a lot when I’m older and the values I learned in New York will be incredibly important in whatever adventure I go on next.

Lastly, I want to thank LSA for helping fund this summer opportunity and for their continued support of the arts. Sometimes, I feel like people undermine how important the arts are to our world. I completely understand how math and science teach us to survive, but I often think people forget that the arts teach us how to live. I challenge anyone who doesn’t believe in the importance of the arts to never listen to a song again, never load up Netflix or YouTube again, never open a newspaper or magazine, or never turn on TV just to see what’s playing. It’s a dissatisfying life without the arts and I’m glad I get to do my small part in showing just how important it is to our society.

Well that’s all from me for this summer. It’s been real, it’s been fun. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.

Your blogging queen,

Sophia

One thought on “TBT Thoughts | Blog #6

What a great conclusion and cap on your experience, Sophia! It sounds like your overall experience and time both in your internship, and in New York lead to a lot of self discovery both personally and professionally.

It’s been great getting to follow along with your progress and updates along the way. It was really cool to see the behind the scenes of things at Comedy Central that I never even thought about before. It sounds like you were really able to make the most of your time and maximize your internship to its fullest. Beyond your professional development and growth it also sounds like your experience in New York was a great opportunity for finding your own independence and feeling what it’s like to be on your own in a big city. Hopefully you’re able to take that experience and help it shape things for you going forward.

It’s really great to hear your thoughts on the arts and just how important that they really are to what makes life great. You’re 100% right that the sciences help us live our lives in a myriad of different ways, but that that the arts help us find passion, joy, and a whole range of emotions we’d never explore as deeply without the arts there to guide us. I hope that your experiences continue to be rewarding and I wish you the best of luck!