The End?

At the end of the day, every campaign (with a few exceptions) is run with the intention to win. We did not win our primary, and I have spent the past few weeks processing that reality and what it means.

I’ve been running through a lot of emotions in the past two weeks, but at no point did I ever feel defeated. I know that my team worked as hard as we possibly could every single day for months, and honestly what we did accomplish is incredible in it’s own right. Yes, we would have all loved to have won, because we all truly believed that our candidate, our campaign, and our policies were the right choice. Because of that, we’re all still working. Not one person I know is letting this loss overcome them. Whatever shape this continued fight takes, whether it’s working on another campaign, community organizing, or other forms of activism, the work continues and we’re better for having fought this fight, and having fought it together.

The saddest part of no longer working with this team is that the people I got to know over the course of these past few months had truly become a family to me and it’s going to be strange not seeing people every day. I’m re-adjusting to having free time again, trying to recenter my focus on returning to school and taking my second LSAT in September. I’m still keeping in touch with the folks I’ve spent so much time working with, because as I’ve stated before they’ve truly become family. I’m taking the lessons I’ve learned throughout this experience and using them as I move forward throughout the rest of my life. This has been one of the most influential and amazing experiences of my life to date, and I’m grateful for it, and ready to see where life takes me now.

2 thoughts on “The End?

Amal, I’m glad to hear that you have a lot of great takeaways from this internship. I love your attitude moving forward from this campaign.

I’m sorry that the campaign did not win. I have never worked for a campaign, but I have tabled and registered voters for a campaign I cared deeply about without the candidate winning in the past myself, so I know a similar feeling. That said, your takeaways from this are great. Keeping in contact with your team members is a great idea, and taking lessons away from the campaign is the best possible thing you could do moving forward.

A couple questions to consider moving forward: Would you be interested in working on another campaign? What would you do differently the next time you work on a campaign? What are your top three takeaways from this campaign?

Hi Amal– It’s been wonderful to read your posts and hear about your experience with the Abdul campaign! I’m glad you had such a positive learning experience. As of this post, you’ve met your blogging requirements for the summer (though you are welcome to continue posting). Once you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in the networking conversations you mentioned here. I hope you’ve been enjoying some downtime in the time since your internship wrapped up!