Two Tips to Improve Your Internship Experience | #4

If someone hoping to intern in the public sector of law asked me for advice, I would tell them to never be afraid to ask questions. As an intern, it is easy to convince yourself that whatever question you want to ask is going to be bothersome or an interruption. Luckily, the staff I worked with always made me feel very welcome to ask questions. Law is a field full of fancy, Latin, legal jargon that can be confusing even to a person with an interest in the law. Throughout my internship, I always learned the most when I asked questions after a hearing. Hearings are very educational but, asking questions about a term you herd or a case that was referenced opened up a series of discussions regarding the history of specific laws, their pros and cons, and things I would have never learned about otherwise. My second piece of advice would be to seek any and all opportunities you are interested in. Since I worked for a judge, he almost always knew the defense attorneys and the United States District Attorneys who were working on our cases. I have always had a particular interest in prosecution so after interacting with a few district attorney’s I asked the Judge’s assistant if it would be possible for me to spend a day visiting the District Attorney’s office. Not only was I able to see and learn about the prosecution side but, our judicial assistant helped me set up meetings with public defender’s office, the clerk’s office, and the court security team. By not being afraid to ask a question about an experience I was interested in, I gained so much more from this internship than I could have ever imagined. I am amazed by the generosity of the people who met with me and their willingness to take time out of their busy schedules to do so. My experiences with Judge Jonker’s office and the defense attorneys have helped me confirm that I want to pursue a career as a prosecutor. No matter what type of internship you have, actively seeking educational opportunities and asking questions will improve your experience tremendously.