Almost there!

It’s the last week of my internship! These past three months have felt like forever—I can’t believe my first day was so long ago. It’s weird that I now know so much about an institution and a profession. I can’t even remember what I was like before I knew about media highlights, clips, and Trendkite! It’s crazy to look back on this experience and see how much I’ve learned. I’m not done yet, though. Tomorrow I’m going to Faulkner Hospital to take photographs of a doctor for a consumer magazine, and then I’m getting lunch with my supervisor. A lot of people have been on vacation on and off for the past two weeks, so August has been a funny time in the office. There have been way fewer shoots happening and the general atmosphere is more relaxed, which is nice. I’ve been working hard to finish my Q&A project, and I’m wrapping up final interviews and getting drafts back to be approved. All my projects are sort of coming to an end, whether I’ve been able to complete them or not. Today I got started on making a tip sheet for the next intern, which was actually pretty fun. It feels like the end but also doesn’t—I imagine it probably won’t feel final until I walk out the door for the last time.

One thought on “Almost there!

Miriam,

Thanks for this latest blog post – it is quite interesting how quickly we adjust to a new normal and fall into routines without realizing it!

I found your observations regarding how something “feels like the end, but it doesn’t”. Internships are funny this way – you play a big role in getting tasks done and seeing projects to fruition, but oftentimes, your time with an organization ends before you get to see the fruits of your labor. It can be a frustrating experience, but one that is a part of professional life. People move on to different opportunities and quite often, have to leave their projects in the hands of others. As you transition out of the organization, how are you planning on ensuring the organization is set up for success? You mentioned putting together a tip sheet for the next intern, but what are some of the logistical/administrative sort of needs you can address before you leave to make sure there isn’t a huge gap in productivity after your departure?

Food for thought!

-Josh