Finding My Favorite Food #7

Hi!

I am excited to write this post because I have the chance to talk about one of my favorite topics: food. Although all of the Albanian experience has been wonderful, it has also been enhanced by the food. I have had the chance to try new foods, but also go back to the foods that I ate growing up. Taste brings back a lot of memories, and this was the case for many of the snacks that I tried. They brought back the memories of eating them on walks to school with my friends. My whole childhood was brought back, in a sense, by the snacks. When I came initially, however, I was on a quest to find something very specific. At the beach in Shengjin, they used to sell ‘petulla’ when I was little. They were not the regular petulla(a common Albanian food), but a little different. I was sure that they would bring back all the beach memories from when I was little if I found them. My cousin assured me that we would be able to find them. When we walked to the artificial lake one afternoon with my cousin, we found them, and it was a very nostalgic feeling eating them again. This is not to say that they are the best tasting food ever, but for me, they provided a lot of happiness for some time. That was all I wanted. My search was complete when I found them that day! The sweet cherry topping went perfectly with the melt-in-your-mouth warm dough. The combination was perfect!

Thanks for reading,

Ermelinda

One thought on “Finding My Favorite Food #7

Hey Ermelinda,

I enjoyed reading this blog – I’m quite the foodie myself, so it’s always great to hear about someone’s experiences through the shared language of food!

Taste memories can be such an extremely powerful thing for individuals – I know that whenever I eat certain Korean dishes, I’m instantly transported back to my childhood and those nostalgic feelings rush back like it was only yesterday – it’s such a powerful way to share culture and build common ground. What are some other cultural “moments” that you’ve had throughout this trip, and how do you intend on bringing your learning from the best of these experiences back with you?

PS – Your descriptive writing was really making me hungry!

-Josh