First day of work #2

I typically like to journal quite a bit, especially in the morning when I wake up. The following is an entry from my journal addressing my first day at work. The first thing I notice when I was heading up to meet my supervisor at work are the coffee machines, I love drinking coffee, especially in the morning. I will be sure to have a cup of coffee during my lunch break.  I talked to my supervisor Heather and I was taught to use the software ImageJ. ImageJ is a very tricky software, it is a very old platform and there were many different aspects of the software to learn. After talking to my supervisor, I sat down and played around with the software until I got the hang of it. I made a list of the steps that I need to follow to highlight the segments that I need to analyze the length of. I am presented with the opportunity to learn this complicated software that is very important in research, I had to make sure that I learn how to work every function in order to succeed in my internship. I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out the software and experimenting to find the fastest way to analyze the images. Overall, I can say that my first day at work was good. I was introduced to some of the people that work in the lab and I learn about the different projects that are done throughout the lab and how they all connect to the main purpose of the lab, which is that of the study of the role of voltage-gated sodium channels in inherited disease, such as epileptic encephalopathy and cardiac arrhythmia.