Last Day in Los Angeles

Like I said in my last post, I’m writing this from the Delta terminal in LAX. It’s completely deserted outside of me and some cleaning staff. Seeing a place that’s ordinarily so busy so completely empty is kind of existentially terrifying; I feel like I’m in a movie about the post-apocalypse.

I’m going to miss LA. My AirBnb hostess and her son have helped to make it feel a bit more like a place I could call home, and I have a sort of melancholy feeling about leaving. Even with all I’ve accomplished — and I feel pretty good about the summer as a whole — I feel like there’s still so much for me to do. I also know, however, that I could live here for years and still not do everything there is to do. Here’s hoping I’m back out here by the end of next summer.

Good Lord, it’s cold in here.

If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you’ve probably seen that I’ve got a bit of a problem with anxiety. As much as this internship has helped to prepare me for the potential of life in Hollywood, it’s arguably done just as much to convince me that I can live on my own. This is the first time I’ve really had to go through this; I’ve always had family or roommates to this point.

Cheesy though it may sound, I wasn’t really alone, though. I mean, I was generally pretty self-sufficient and there wasn’t a good deal of human contact outside of work and my previously recounted adventures with Scientology, but I’ve also bewn leaning on my support system. I’ve got family in the area who checked up on me and would invite me to do something with them every once in a while. I’ve got family back home who I felt comfortable calling whenever I had problems. I have friends who never cease to make me laugh.

None of this is unique to me, I know, but this internship and what it put me through made me appreciate them more than I did. It also showed me what I’m capable of when striking out on my own. It’s been a learning experience unlike any other I’ve had, and regardless of what happens next, I’m grateful to those who made it possible and those who helped me through.

Farewell, Los Angeles. Now I’ve got to find a way to kill eight hours in an empty, freezing airport terminal.

NOTE: The wifi isn’t letting me post this for some reason. On top of that, my phone is on its last legs and none of the outlets are working. This really is the apocalypse. I’ll try to post later.

One thought on “Last Day in Los Angeles

Congratulations on making it in LA on your own, Jeremiah! That’s definitely a tough thing to learn how to do, but you’ve demonstrated that you can do it. Building up a community around you so that you’re not “really alone” doesn’t mean you can’t “really live alone”–it’s a strength to be able to do this and then reach out to these people for support.

As you are working through your next steps and may or may not be feeling some anxiety, definitely don’t hesitate to use the resources available to you as a U-M student. Some that may be particularly helpful are CAPS and the Hub. As I mentioned in previous comments, please use the Hub to help you to figure out what your next steps might be. We can help you to calm your anxiety and identify a plan for yourself.

I do want to acknowledge that this is your 6th post, so you’ve completed your requirement for us. I’ve really enjoyed following along your experience this summer and I hope that we can meet in person in the Hub!

Maggie