Saying Goodbye! #6

This being my first internship, I thought of it as strictly professional. I never thought I would befriend so many amazing people. I never thought I would be asked to shadow attorneys in court. I never thought I would be independent enough to set up my own appointment with clients and work at my own pace. My last day at MIRC was not as I expected. My supervising attorney had taken me out to lunch along with the entire staff. As we sat and ate all the attorneys took their rounds saying how thankful they were of me and how much I have grown since my first day of work. I was trying so hard to not look at the attorney’s eyes because I knew that I would start crying. I felt so welcomed and so loved by those people. That same day a client was going to come and drop off some documents. And he was so happy by the fact of me telling him that he would most likely get his citizenship. And as I was walking him out the door I told him that today was my last day and his face changed and he said: “but what am I to do when I have questions, who is gonna help me”. At that moment the words were so hard to say but I replied “It’s ok anyone here can help you and the attorney gave you his card so you can ask him” and he said, “Ok sir, thank you”.  It felt so weird, I knew that I was helping someone out but it also hurt to say goodbye. And at the end of the day, I sat down with three attorneys one by one all of them telling me that they would help me on my path to grad school. And closing it off with a hug. After this internship I realized that I really do want to pursue law, I feel complete with helping all sorts of people, from unaccompanied children to detainees to family-based immigrants. All I can say now is thank you and I will stay motivated to continue to help these beautiful people.

One thought on “Saying Goodbye! #6

Osvaldo,

I am so glad to hear that this internship had such an impact on you and your professional goals! I think it is absolutely incredible you felt so welcomed and supported by your work community.

Now that your internship is over, it may be good to stay in touch with your mentors at the company to get continual support while searching for grad schools! But I also think it may be beneficial to reflect on good and bad aspects of your internship and how it they link with your professional goals. Reflecting helps you to develop your skills and review their effectiveness, rather than just carry on doing things as you have always done them.

But once again, I am so excited for you in hearing your internship wasn’t exactly what you expected, but maybe exactly what you needed to become passionate about law. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

-Shaina