Blog 6 – Reflecting

Rereading my letter to myself from Week 1 has encouraged me to reflect on these busy, full 9 weeks I’ve spent in Detroit. So much has happened in a relatively short amount of time, and I’m so glad to have the opportunity to debrief them a bit.

First, I am immensely thankful for the people I met and had the privilege to connect with, both at my placement and in the program. I hope I keep these friends well after we are finished in Detroit this summer, and I think I will definitely continue to be involved with Voices for Earth Justice.

My expectations for learning about the city of Detroit were definitely surpassed. I feel like I am just beginning to understand the character of this city, as well as the challenges Detroit residents are facing. I’m excited to continue to learn about this city, and I’m thankful this summer gave me the opportunity to start to realize what is happening in Detroit.

Living in Ann Arbor, I am so close to Detroit geographically, but I never made the effort to understand the city. I’m hoping I will continue my quest to connect with Detroit even after I move away.

One thought on “Blog 6 – Reflecting

• September 4, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Hi Chloe. Thank you so much for sharing throughout the summer! I am so glad to hear that your internship went well. Sure, it was not without it’s challenges; but I can tell this experience really informed your career interests and helped you gain new perspective about Detroit. Specifically, your comments on balancing economic growth with equitable opportunities brings up an especially challenging time in Detroit.

Overall, reading from your letter to yourself down to your reflection, I can see that the work, the city, and the people of Brightmoor have had a profound effect on you. I hope that you find a way to apply what you learned into the classroom this fall and beyond as you become a professional. Take care and thanks for sharing! – Jake