Afro-Mexicanos

Half way into my time in Mexico, I started to become more and more aware of my identity as an African American women. That was probably because I didn’t see others that looked like me. Upon my journey to Mexico, I started to notice the lack of afro-mexicanos in the community but also the hierarchical levels between both man and women in the workplace.

But the hierarchical levels between both man and women in the workplace is what stood out to me the most but it was present everywhere I went.

I remember this past weekend, I was out in El Centro (a huge touristy area in Mexico city) with tons of stores. There were million of stores catered for men in the business profession but none catered to women. I started to think deeply about what this could mean. Did this mean that there weren’t a lot of business professional clothing stores for women because a lot of women aren’t in the business professional field?

This made me realized the hierarchical differences within Mexico City, something I never had knowledge of before.

One thought on “Afro-Mexicanos

Hi Pierra! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I was able to read some of your blog posts, and it sounds like you have been having a transformational summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real entrepreneurial-type work, and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on gender relations in another country! I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in Mexico, or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!