After the internships

During my time at the School of Public Health this summer, I learned how to communicate effectively with a team and a number of study participants within the research. In addition, time management is also another skill I capitalized on. When I went to Vietnam for my second internship, I began to understand the value of listening intentionally because I did not know how to speak Vietnamese. But actively trying to understand what people were trying to communicate made things easier and helped me learn a bit of Vietnamese as well.  I taught fifth graders English, organized a workshop on the use of social media(Facebook prominently) and also designed a trailer for the organization I worked with, Friends for Street Children.

One thought on “After the internships

Eliyas, great to hear your reflection on the importance of listening. 93% of communication is nonverbal, so listening with attention and intention is critical, and not just when there is a language barrier. It’s actually my personal philosophy that THE most important aspect of leadership is listening. You certainly got to practice both active listening and intentional communication through your internships this summer! How do you intend to communicate about these important skills going forward?

Is your internship in Vietnam complete?