Final Takeaways | #8

Before embarking on this internship, I had been apprehensive and hopeful. Apprehensive over what my boss and coworkers would be like, the jobs I would be assigned to do, my living situation and the list goes on. But I had been hopeful – hopeful that perhaps marketing is my calling. As someone who has been undecided for so long, it would be a sweet relief to discover a line of working that I found satisfaction in. Unfortunately, it is not so easy and my search continues. I have not completely crossed marketing off my list since it is a very broad field, however I am keen to move on to other kinds of jobs. Next summer will be another summer of exploration (with a more earnest tone) and the process will repeat itself again.

It’s been an unforgettable summer (very cliche I know), filled with last minute trips and new friends. All I can say to prospective international internship participants is: go outside of your comfort zone – the best things happen when you make spur of the moment decisions, when you decide to take the backroads, when you talk to someone completely different from yourself. That’s when the magic happens, because you never know the kind of memories you will make, the things you will discover or the connections that will form.

A stanza from one of my favourite poems conveys this perfectly:

And then things start to happen,
don’t worry. Don’t stew.
Just go right along.
You’ll start happening too.

– Oh, the Places You’ll Go, Dr. Seuss