Final Reflections: Blog #6

After finally moving back to Ann Arbor, I have had time to reflect on my internship at the Mayo Clinic. The past three years I have worked for them have been such a growing experience, and I wish I could go back in time and tell Freshman year Tatum that this experience will change your life, and even when things get intimidating or stressful, its all worth it. This internship has prepared me for the real world and I am beyond excited to begin my next journey.

In the mathematical neuro-oncology lab that I worked in, I have learned to read tediously, think unconventionally, and to focus my efforts on helping others. One of the biggest take aways that I realized in the middle of my internship is that all the numbers, charts, and graphs represents real patients. This can, sadly, be easy to forget when all you see all day are numbers and papers. The few personal interactions I was granted have changed my perspectives and overall goal to help people in any way that I can.

Though I have worked in a hospital and lab for years, I have come to realization that one of my true passions is law. I will be applying to law school this semester with the intent of specializing in patent law or malpractice/health law. I will always love the medical field in particular, and I hope to keep both fields in my life and future career, and I owe this to my experiences at the Mayo Clinic.

Tatum D

I am a rising Senior at the University of Michigan working at The Mayo Clinic as a research assistant in a mathematical neuro-oncology lab.