Not An Easy Goodbye | Internship Wrap-Up

With fall approaching quickly, friends moving into their new apartments and homes, Canvas alerts starting to roll in, and student organizations kicking into gear for the semester, it did feel like time to return to Michigan. But leaving behind Sweden, its people, and its landscapes was still no easy goodbye.

Fortunately, I booked my departing plane ticket for a few days after my internship had concluded. This was the best decision I could have made, although I didn’t know it at the time. My internship ended on a Friday afternoon. That evening, my supervisor Jess gave my fellow intern and I parting gift bags. They were filled with Midsummer Tea blends, samples of the tea, journals, pencil holders, and other little goodies. It was a lovely surprise and the card was even sweeter.

She told us that she would hire the both of us in an instant if the company were ever to truly take off. She was proud and pleased with the work that we did for Midsummer Tea and she thanked us wholeheartedly for our time, dedication, and creativity. We had a final lunch the next day as a team before the other intern flew home.

I then had a free few days with Jess apart from work to get to know her even better than before. We spent our remaining time bonding, socializing, listening to music, preparing foods, ‘pigsitting’ (it’s a long story), and hosting dinner parties. I am truly grateful for this time with her, and I know with all of my heart that she is a contact for life.

One thought on “Not An Easy Goodbye | Internship Wrap-Up

Abbey,

What a fulfilling, valuable, perspective-shifting experience you’ve had this summer! None of this positive learning and growth is possible without you completely buying in to the process, so kudos to you for giving all of yourself to this experience.

I’m so glad that you had the foresight to give yourself a few work-free days to soak in the rest of your time in Sweden – too often, we don’t take the time to really appreciate the people and places that have shaped our experiences, and those investments offer valuable perspective and moments of reflection down the line.

On a more pragmatic note, I could not be more pleased at the genuine and lasting connection that you’ve built with the Midsummer Tea team. You’ve officially built the foundation for what will hopefully be a thriving, vast, global network of professionals for you to keep in contact with as you move forward in your personal and professional development. I encourage you to really think about how you will keep your various stakeholders up to date with your progress – proximity makes it easier to maintain a relationship – once you’re separated by time zones and thousands of miles, it’s harder to keep in touch, which is why it’s really important to identify some touchpoints for you to communicate out to these individuals – the more they are aware of your progress, the more they can advocate for wonderful opportunities for you down the line!

It’s been really fun reading these blogs. Thank you for the time and energy you’ve put into sharing about your experience. We can’t wait to see you back at the Hub!

-Josh