Going Beyond Expectations | Post #2

How has your internship differed from your beginning expectations? How has it been similar? Has anything surprised you about your internship?

When I came into my internship at the Partnership, I wasn’t sure what to expect really. Frankly, I had a hard time understanding what the organization’s mission was and what my work would actually entail. Now having completed my internship, I can say I was pleasantly surprised by my experience!

My portfolio included managing the Partnership’s social media accounts, tracking our mentions in the press, and my favorite, staffing interviews with the media. Every day I had a checklist of tasks to keep up with our media mentions. Once done with that, my work differed each day depending on what was being covered in the news that day.

What surprised me most was seeing how mass media, particularly social media, can have a place in the professional workplace. Often times, we associate media as being just a casual pastime. I was impressed to see how crucial its role is in furthering our organization’s mission and hope to gain more experience in this industry onward.