Reflection | #6

This entire summer as a whole was a crazy adventure and a great learning experience. Starting off the summer with Proof Management, I was expecting a different (and better) experience than the one I received. I was treated rather poorly, and in the end I almost feel like I was scammed with that “internship” offer. It just simply did not seem like a true internship where the executive and the other employees of the company were trying to offer true growth and experience as a professional. I signed up for a position where I was told I would gain marketing experience, and what I was really doing was selling products in stores and getting yelled at if I didn’t sell enough.

On top of that, I was very disrespected in regards to my health issues. I was not respected at that internship in any way. I was working 6 days a week for 10-12 hours a day. It took a toll on my health. It worsened my health issues, and when I wanted to rest on one day that I was scheduled to be off, I was yelled at because I said I was unable to come in and cover someone else’s shift. I was yelled at for under-performing when I was feeling extra sick due to an increase in stress and a lack of rest. In the end, that internship did not respect my time or health. I will take that position as a learning experience for the future.

I was very fortunate that a local business back home was still willing to let me accept their offer for the remainder of the summer. This position still wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, but it was much better of an experience. I did some graphic design, marketing, event planning, and I even dressed up as a cowboy and acted in some gunfight skits. I was able to see impact that my work had made on the Stagecoach park. The visitors seemed to spend more time at the park and seemed to leave with more positive remarks.

I am proud of the work that I did this summer and the results that I produced. Below is one of the signs I created for the Stagecoach park featuring my little sister standing behind it!

One thought on “Reflection | #6

Hello Devin – Thanks for this look back on all that you experienced and accomplished this summer. Your ability to advocate for yourself, both in stepping away from a difficult work environment and in taking on new projects for Stagecoach, has shown clearly throughout and is something to continue building as you navigate the professional world.

As of this post, you’ve met your blogging requirements for the summer. Once you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in the networking conversations you mentioned here. I hope you’ve been enjoying some downtime in the time since your internship wrapped up!