The Last Week

As I start my last week of my internship, it really surprises me to think about everything I have seen and done this summer. It has been such a privilege to work with the doctors that are a part of the Breast Oncology Program. They taught me so much about what it means to be a doctor and how to handle such a difficult specialty. Diagnostically- and surgically-speaking I saw a lot of different things that I’m sure eventually I will lose memory of, but the lessons the doctors taught me about patient care and practicing good medicine will stay with me for a long time.

As for the portion of my internship related to the breast health presentation, I could not picture a better outcome. Not only did my ability to use Spanish in a health care setting improve, but I also became more confident speaking Spanish fluidly. However, obviously, the most important part of the presentations was the women. They are the reason we do these presentations. It is so important for communities that are affected disproportionately by disease to have an opportunity to ask questions and express concerns. Not enough attention is paid to these communities and that is something that needs to change in order to ensure that all patients are given the same standard of care. I am so glad that I was able to contribute even a little to that effort.

I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to be a part such an amazing team of physicians and to have met such an incredible group of women. This summer internship will be one to remember.

Image result for thank you picture

One thought on “The Last Week

It sounds like your internship has really been a wonderful opportunity for growth, while also being a very rewarding and enriching experience in so many ways.

Awesome to hear all the different ways in which you feel like you gained so much for your internship. The time and experience working with the team of talented physicians seems like it really helped you grow in variety of ways.

It’s also really great to hear how you were able to contribute to such a meaningful cause that is so needed in these communities. Hopefully you’ll be able to take this experience and everything you learned from it as a guide towards what’s next for you. I wish you the best of luck!