Transfer Student BBQ

On Sunday OAMI and the M-Connect program held a barbecue for incoming transfer students. Although I’m not directly involved in transfer student initiatives, I went to help out and support one of the other student cohort liaisons who planned it. There were probably close to 150 people there at some point, and it went really well, even though the heat and humidity was almost unbearable.

What I wasn’t expecting, though, was how much I would talk individually with students there. The staff members, student ambassadors and I introduced ourselves over a microphone to everyone there. I then talked individually with half a dozen students who approached me with questions about their STEM fields. I gave out contact information and talked about what courses they were taking and my own experience in those classes. I pointed out where libraries were, explained how M-Print works, and invited people to come to OAMI and keep in contact. I was able to connect with a lot of people, and I was so glad it was helpful for them.

Mattie

Class of 2020, Physics and Interdisciplinary Astronomy Co-Chair of the Native American Student Association Society of Physics Students Student Astronomical Society