WDET Mission Statement: Blog Post #1

“WDET is the authentic voice of Detroit, We serve an engaged, diverse and curious audience through trusted news, inclusive conversations and cultural experiences that empower our community to move forward.

To accomplish this mission, WDET is committed to:

• Expanding the reach and impact of our award-winning local journalism service;
  • Leading as a significant voice for the arts and a cultural convener;
  • Contributing to the regional vitality by serving as a leader in Detroit’s national and international presence”

WDET’s mission and vision basically falls in line with every other locally based public radio station’s goals. Essentially, they are here to serve the community and get them the news most salient to them.

This past semester (Winter 2018) I took Comm 251–Understanding Media Industries. For one section of class we briefly went over the role of localism and radio stations. Clear Channel Communications (now iHeatMedia) was and is a mass media corporation that monopolized thousands of radio stations across the country so that some local radio stations would no longer really serve the communities they were in. It is different from WDET in the fact that those radio stations were all for-profit, but it is still scary to think that one conglomerate can own the media for millions of consumers.

That being said, I am glad that WDET is a non-profit public radio station that is both government and listener supported.  I am very much for accessing your information from local sources. Actually, this past semester I tried to listen NPR and read more local news. However, I could only do so much with my workload. And I also think it is important to have a balance of sources of where to your news from. So, I kept up to date via social media and other more traditional news sources such as The New York Times and the like.

However, I am excited to start my internship with WDET. I literally do not know how a radio station operates, so I am looking forward to learning! While I could not meet my supervisor, Jerome, at the introductory luncheon today, I can not wait to start working under him and learning about radio journalism.\

(initially written in journal on May 11th 2018)

2 thoughts on “WDET Mission Statement: Blog Post #1

Hi Emmanuel! My name is Maggie Davidson and I am a Data and Systems Analyst at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I, along with Hub Intern Vishal, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!

• September 4, 2018 at 12:51 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, Emmanuel! I am Vishal, a student intern here at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I’ll be following along on your internship experiences.

It is amazing that you got to work with a non-profit public radio station and are getting to understand how they operate. I also appreciate your mention about the course that you took in school where you also touched upon a possible monopoly in the media. I was wondering if during your experience here, were there specific parts that you felt strongly about and the skills that you hope to gain out of this experience that will help you in your future goals?

I cannot wait to read more of your experiences and looking forward to reading your experience working with your supervisor.