#3 New Experiences

One of the major things that I did not completely think about before starting my internship is the people of different communities, races, religions, etc. that I will be encountering. Most of my job requires me to drive to numerous cities in South-east/South-central Michigan to facilitate Camp 9-1-1 children programs. I am not that familiar with places like Monroe, Albion, Jackson, Battle Creek, Dundee, Temperance, etc., so engaging with kids of these different communities has been very eye-opening.

It is important to notice how socio-economic status of the different communities can have an impact on how kids act around other kids and adults. I always have to be conscious of how I am acting around others who identify differently than I do. Not only will this impact my experiences during my internship, but it will also impact the experiences of the kids and those around me. I need to be able to use my privileges and position in order to better the experiences of others I interact with, which will, in turn, better my experiences.

Many of the activities that we do throughout the day may be easier or more difficult for some people to do. I am learning that some may need more time or more direction in order to be able to fully understand the material they need to learn. It can be easy to get irritated with working with large groups, especially when certain kids need more attention than others, but I have been learning to stay patient because everything that I do strongly affects everyone else.

One thought on “#3 New Experiences

Hi Giavanna! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I was able to read some of your blog posts, and it sounds like you have had a busy summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real education work with kids, and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on working with diverse populations. I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!