Better Late than Never: The Beginning

Hello All,

My name is Destini Smith and I am the queen of procrastination, which explains why my blog posts are coming in so late. Please forgive me.

During the summer months, I interned at Friends of Parkside on Detroit’s East Side.  This is a non-profit organization that services the residents living in the Villages at Parkside housing complex. The mission of this organization is to -make the community safer and healthier for at-risk populations like pregnant women, children, and senior citizens while also bettering the community as a whole. My job was to plan and evaluate the 10th annual health and safety fair for this community, which really peaked my interest. My plan is to become an emergency room physician in an underserved area, so I felt that this internship related to what I want to do. It introduced me to an underserved population, which allowed me to see how some of the social injustices that the residents were experiencing affected their access to health and safety resources.

I went into the internship thinking that it would be straightforward. I had no experience whatsoever with planning an event, especially not an event of this size. Because of this lack of experience, I believed that I would go in, reach out to different organizations, and people would come to the event. I was really optimistic about the task ahead of me, and I was hoping that I could go into this community and make a positive impact in some way.

One thought on “Better Late than Never: The Beginning

Hi Destini!
    My name is Beth Bodiya and I’m a Hub coach at the Hub. I’m excited to read your upcoming posts, reflecting on your internship from this summer. You already hint at some potential surprises/unexpected challenges along the way…!

One of our Hub Interns, Jenny, will also be following along with your blog reflections! Looking forward to learning about you learned this summer!

Thanks,
    Beth