Favorite Experience | #4

My favorite experience this summer was a fundraiser we planned. One day at work my coworkers and I were brainstorming ideas and we came up with the idea that it would be hilarious for all 3 of us to go out into the middle of the lake in sailboats and attempt to sail back. I come from a family of sailors and we own a couple of sailboats but I never learned how to skipper and the other girls also had little-to-no sailing experience. Originally the idea wasn’t supposed to be a race or a fundraiser – just something we wanted to try. When we ran the idea past my boss he loved it and suggested we turn it into a huge fundraiser and for $5 people could bet on who they think would win. We loved his suggestion! That week, we created a promo video for our event. None of us had ever created a promo video before so this was an interesting challenge, but the video turned out great and got everyone very excited for the race day. At our next big event and during the week leading up to the race we sold many tickets for people to bet on who they believed would win. It was a great way to meet some of the members who I had not yet met and a great way to network!

On the day of the event, a lot of people showed up to watch. I was incredibly nervous to sail but knew it was too late to back down. Fortunately, the wind was not too strong and I had watched a YouTube video the night before to learn some of the essential information. We climbed into our sailboats and were towed out to the middle of the lake. When they untied us, my boat nearly tipped over because my sail was facing the wrong direction – not a great start. I recovered and the race was very close the entire time, with all three of us taking turns in the lead. When we made it back we all arrived within a minute of each other, but unfortunately, I arrived last. Overall, we raised over $500 which we put towards hosting more events. This fundraiser was my favorite experience of the summer and it was very cool to create a completely new event for the club. I hope it continues in future years, however, I will not be the one to sail again.

One thought on “Favorite Experience | #4

Ellie,

It sounds like you are having such a fun time at the Yacht Club! I do know this internship wasn’t what you planned to do with your summer and you went in feeling nervous and unprepared, but you have done some incredible work!

the ideas and events you have expressed in your blogs have been creative and implemented well! You may want to begin reflecting in your experience and find out if maybe event planning is something you want to add to your professional aspirations.

I am very excited to read about the end of your internship!

-Shaina