Favorite Internship Experiences | #5

Some of my favorite experiences as an intern this summer were attending report releases from the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM). I enjoyed them so much because they kept me up-to-date with many academic and social issues and how they are currently being addressed.

Some of the topics of the report releases I attended included:

• “Indicators for Monitoring Undergraduate STEM Education,”
  • “Indicators for Monitoring Graduate STEM Education,”
  • “Sexual Harassment of Women: Climate, Culture, and Consequences in Academic Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine,”
  • and “Permanent Supportive Housing: Evaluating the Evidence for Improving Health Outcomes Among People Experiencing Homelessness.”

Attending these events and then going back to the office and reading articles that major news sources, such as Science Magazine and Vox, had written about them made me feel more connected to current events and how this kind of information is covered.

In addition to this increased familiarity with how academic studies are publicized, going to NASEM report releases gave me the chance to write about them for my organization’s biweekly newsletter. While I had many rewarding experiences during my internship, these were some of the most noteworthy to me.