Internship Post: Learning Experiences

My internship has awarded me with the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of leadership experience. Prior to starting the summer academy, I came to work to shadow the program director, Mr. Armstrong. After hovering over him and bombarding him with questions for 3 days, Mr. Armstrong gave assigned me some tasks that would allow me to fail a better understanding about leadership in an educational non profit. My first assignment was to schedule the buses for all of the Friday field trips for the month of June. I had to google the bus company, call the customer service line, and explain what Upward Bound is and how we would like to utilize their services. I expected the representative to process all of the information over the phone, but she asked me to create an excel sheet that included the dates, pick up time, drop off time, addresses, the exact locations of the pick ups and drop offs, the names of the places we were attending on each field trip, and the estimated number of passengers. This excel sheet took well over 40 minutes to complete. I learned that brainstorming field trips and college tours is the easy (and fun) part. The real work is the planning and execution. Excel sheets must be very precise so that the bus drivers arrive on time to the pick up and drop off locations so we can be punctual to our destinations. In addition to the excel sheet, you must call the bus company to confirm times, get the bus drivers phone number just in case they can’t park in front of the drop off location. You have to budget for food during the field trips, coordinate with college advisors and other staff to make sure someone is available to lead us on a walking tour, admissions packets are available, and the PowerPoint presentations are relevant to the identities and needs of our students. This is a lot (I had to do this 4 times), but it is definitely worth it.