Reflection #6

When I think back on my summer internship experience, in the moment, I felt frustrated, feeling like I wasn’t getting the professional and personal growth I had been hoping for. But looking back, a few weeks removed, I think I learned a lot more than I had originally thought.

When someone asks me what I liked about my internship, I can’t talk enough about the people. I learned that it is so so important to like the people that you work with, maybe more than the actual work you are doing. Additionally, this field that I want to go into (corporate social responsibility), is such a niche field and I have learned that I love to be surrounded by people who are just as passionate about it as I am. Maybe I’m still not sure what being in CSR looks like day-to-day, but I know that these kind of people, the people working to make a positive impact, are the people I want to work with.

Coming back to campus has been strange. It seems that in almost every conservation I have, I am reminded that I am a senior, soon facing graduation. The conversations with my friends have shifted from the next party we’re going to, to where we want to be after we graduate and what we want to do with our lives.

Maybe the biggest thing I came away with from this summer is a sense of calm. I really don’t feel too panicked when I think about the future (like I did at the start of the internship). I know that wherever I’ll be, whatever I’ll be doing, I’ll be just fine. And when I think about the future, I feel excited.

One thought on “Reflection #6

Lilah, I would be lying if I said that reading your posts this summer were some of my absolute favorite. Seeing your arc of reflection and send of self over the months has been awesome. I will say that in my 20+ years of work, yes, liking the people you work with is as important as the work itself. There is some research by Gallup that your relationship with your supervisor is actually your #1 determinant of well-being in your life (since we spend more time at work that doing anything else, besides sleeping).

I am so grateful this summer still helped you make meaning and come to some clarity. You will find your path, I guarantee you that. Thank you again for this window into your summer, and I hope our paths cross on campus this fall.