The End | #6

This internship solidified that I want to help those that are of lower social economic status. I saw how people were able to receive help because it was free and how people were unwilling to receive treatment because of financial issues. I believe that everyone deserves the chance to live and better their health. After this internship I want to become someone to help ones that are less fortunate abroad. It is much easier to give free health abroad.
After working at the Cancer Institute I realized that I like doing psycho social activities with them. Immediately I might not be able to alleviate their pain or provide direct treatment but I can get their mind off of the pain. I like interacting with patients and learning about their life story. I think everyone’s life is an interesting story even if they think it is the most normal one. To them it may be normal but I am fascinated by each and every one of them.

2 thoughts on “The End | #6

Annie, I really enjoy reading about your experiences in the Philippines and your work at the Cancer Institute! The great thing about immersing yourself into a brand new culture is getting to broaden your horizons, so I’m glad you’re enthusiastic about trying and learning new things! It’s also great that you found a mentor who enriched you with valuable knowledge. I cannot agree more about the importance of connecting with professionals in your field of interest, something I also only learned of recently. Definitely stay in touch with your mentor, and maintain the relationship you built over the summer!

It’s so sweet to see you working with the babies! I admire that you care for each individual, even though they are not necessarily returning to the hospital. Giving the needed comfort and support during the brief period you are with patients must mean a lot to them when they are in distress. I’m happy to hear that your internship solidified your passion to work with patients of lower socioeconomic status. The affordability of medical care does make a large difference in the overall well-being of a population, and it’s great that you raised this issue. Even if this isn’t something you can change alone, I’m sure what you will learn along the road carrying this passionate mindset will allow you to give back to your community. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Thanks again, Annie, for sharing your journey. You are always welcome to stop by the LSA Opportunity Hub to chat about your aspirations, and if you need any kind of help with career planning. I definitely agree that everyone has unique and thought-provoking life experiences, and I’d love to hear more of your story!

Hope you have a great rest of your summer!
    Jenny

Hi Annie,
    I really enjoyed learning about your internship experience through your blogs! I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement for the scholarship. I hope that you’ll have a chance to stop by the Hub this fall. We can chat about how you represent your experience on your resume, LinkedIn, or even in future interviews! Please let us know how we can be of help.

Best of luck in your return to campus this weekend,
    Beth