Working at Culture

I have had a great experience working at culture.pl. During my time here, it has been a pleasure to get to know my bosses, co-workers, and fellow interns. I feel very fortunate to have had this opportunity. While here I have really learned what it takes to run a successful social media site. I was in charge of culture.pl’s English language Twitter account. I used Buffer to plan out tweets weeks in advance. This was an eye-opening experience. Before this, I did not know how difficult it was to run a twitter account… All the tweets need to be perfect, they need to look uniform, and mistakes cannot be made. There was also a political aspect. I had to be extremely careful not to support anything controversial. This was actually very difficult in a different culture. I had to be extremely careful when I tweeted about the Warsaw uprising of 1944 or legendary director Roman Polanski. During my time here I have also been able to work on articles. I am currently working on an article on the street art of Krakow, Poland. I am given complete creative freedom to writing about something I am passionate about and interested in. Overall, I would like to come back and intern for culture in the future.

One thought on “Working at Culture

Samantha,

I really enjoyed reading this blog post about some of the unexpected pitfalls and difficulties in managing an organization’s social media presence.

Social media is a difficult beast to tackle. It doesn’t really allow for a nuanced perspective (particularly Twitter, with it’s character limit). In order to squeeze the most value out of a platform like Twitter, it’s paramount that an individual possess the skill of effective and efficient communication. Have you noticed your competence in this area growing as you’ve been tasked with navigating the minefields that posting to Twitter can be fraught with? What have you learned about branding and presenting a coherent, congruent vision in the form of an organization’s social media presence? Do you think this will have any effect on how you approach your own personal accounts?

I also really appreciate that you talked about some of the considerations you had to make when thinking about historic events and how the language barrier really affected your ability to perceive the cultural pitfalls. How might you see similar struggles manifesting here at home?

-Josh