Blog Post #6

August 28th

The summer is almost done, and it’s crazy how fast it has gone by! I have never had a summer where I worked harder, learned more, and had as great of a time as I had this summer. This summer was the first summer I have spent away from home, and even though I missed home a lot, I can’t stress how great of an opportunity this has been for me. I have 100% confirmed that working on campaigns is something that I want to do seriously after I graduate, and have already began the process of figuring out what campaign I will work on once I graduate. Although the summer is almost over, there is still a lot of work to do on this campaign. I will be interning on this campaign up until the very end of the election cycle in November. I have learned a great deal about myself and the world of political campaigns, and have cemented myself as an important figure among our campaign. My favorite part of this internship has easily been the plethora of people I have met. From farmers to congressmen, it has been great to meet people of all walks of life. In particular, we just had a fundraiser yesterday and Ben Ray Lujan and Jim Clyburn, two congressmen, attended the event. They both spoke, and Mr. Lujan in particular was captivating because he talked about his blue collar background and how his father’s death from lung cancer caused by a workplace chemical motivated him to do something to improve working conditions. Seeing people who have built successful political careers who come from similar backgrounds as myself is awe-inspiring and hugely motivates me to follow in their footsteps. I will never forget this summer, and will be forever grateful that I had this opportunity to expand my skills, gain new experiences, and confirm that I am following a working path that I greatly enjoy.

One thought on “Blog Post #6

Trevor,

Thanks for sharing these reflections on your blog – while I am sorry that I did not get to read any of them throughout your internship, I’m really glad I was able to get a total picture of the work you’ve been able to accomplish!

First off, my hats off to you for working on a successful campaign! While exciting, politics during election seasons are incredibly stressful, fast-paced work environments. I get the impression that you really enjoyed this pace, but is it something that you can see yourself doing long-term? What elements of this work did you absolutely love, and what elements could you really live without? Taking some time to think deeply about these things can really help you crystallize your professional intent as you move closer to the end of your undergraduate career!

As you get into the November cycle, what are the lessons learned that you will carry with you that will help inform your practice? It can be tough to take a step back to intentionally reflect on your learning, but as you’ll almost be resetting the clock for the November cycle, it’s a great opportunity to take stock of your accomplishments, difficult moments, and future intentions.

I wish you best of luck, and a hearty congratulations for all you’ve accomplished thus far!

-Josh