Blog Post Four

7/18/18

For my internship this summer I am just staying in Ann Arbor and commuting to the counties in the 7th congressional district (usually about 30 – 60 mins away), but spent most of my time with campaign related activities in Saline, where our office is. I also spent a lot of time in other parts of the district like Eaton Rapids, Tecumseh, Monroe, Branch, and Lenawee counties to name a few. I am originally from Lapeer, MI. Lapeer is a smallish town with about 8,500 – 9,000 residents. Saline, the town where Gretchen is from, has about 9,000. The tows are similar in size, but Saline is slightly bigger. Saline is known for having great schools and as mayor Gretchen helped develop the town a lot. Saline is very close to Ann Arbor and a lot of people there have no complaints, they are happy. If someone were to go to Saline to get an idea about what the seventh congressional district is like, they would not be getting an accurate picture. When people think of Gretchen, they know she was mayor of Saline for 14 years and that is what I’m afraid the seventh district will be personified as, as being like Saline. However, when I’m traveled to other counties in the district I’ve found that that is not the case at all. In fact, many other parts of the district do not like Saline because it is doing so well when their communities are not.  There are many areas of the district where trades work and factory work is the main source of income for the town, but many factories and plants are being shut down and many are left with no source of income. Many people are struggling to meet ends means and the roads are crumbling and schools are not the greatest. Adrian, one of the cities in the town, has a large Hispanic population, and many people do not know that, or would consider the seventh district a district that has large minority populations. The seventh district is unique and complex and has a lot of issues that need to be solved and a lot of people feel they are not being represented and that they have been forgotten. They haven’t been forgotten, and we need to work to make sure they aren’t lost in the narrative of Saline, and communities like it.