Blog Post Week 6

Wow, what an experience this summer has been. I’ve seen so many new things and learned so much while shadowing Dr. Johnson in the ER. It has been so interesting to see how doctors and the nursing staff respond to trauma patients. They have the ability to think so quickly on their feet and it is amazing to watch. In the past, my experience with medicine has been so much less exciting. Usually, the doctor reads the patients files on the computer and kind of already knows how the visit with the patient is going to go before speaking with him/her. It’s been like a breath of fresh air because now the doctors know very little, but are able to make decision after decision to ultimately save the patients life. Earlier this week we saw a very interesting case. It dealt with a trauma patient who was involved in a motorcycle accident. The interesting thing was the accident happened the night before and the patient didn’t come in until the next afternoon. I don’t know why he didn’t immediately go to the hospital following his accident, but for whatever reason, the patient went home first. He came in complaining of wrist pain so the doctors took him to get X-rays. It was soon discovered that the patients actually broke both of his arms and one of his hands in the crash. They hypothesized that the patient must have run into a tree and put his arms out to brace himself before impact. Needless to say, it will be a very long year and road to recovery for the patient. This summer experience has done a great job of showing me the type of doctor I want to become. I am very grateful for receiving the LSA Internship Scholarship because without it this summer experience would not have been possible.

One thought on “Blog Post Week 6

Hi Keith,

My name is DeMario Bell, information services coordinator, at the LSA Opportunity Hub. Reading your blog posts brought me so much joy! I really enjoyed reading about your experience from beginning to end. I love how in each of your blog posts you were able to reflect back on your passion for medicine and the reason you want to become a physician. In each post, the constant theme I was able to extract was your love for building relationships, helping others, and for the field itself. I deeply appreciate you were able to be mentored by Dr. Johnson and on a personal level the two of you were able to build a relationship. I encourage you to maintain contact with Dr. Johnson and him as a resource, should you wish to do so. I’m hoping you can take the experience you were able to get from your internship and connect back to the classroom here at Michigan. We are so proud of you at the Hub and look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Go Blue!

DeMario