My Biggest Challenge #5

This internship at Visi Productions gave me an abundance of opportunities to practice my skills and gain new experiences on the job, but I found I ran into an issue about midway through the summer. Every time an opportunity was offered to me I felt the need to accept it. This inability to say no to some opportunities lead to a couple problems by the end of my summer. First, I found I was way overworking myself, because I was working my internship, then working my side job, and taking spring/summer classes. I wasn’t giving myself time to relax and de-stress. This lead to the second, I started letting people down in my work life and my personal life. I didn’t have that balance of work life and social life.

Although, all these things seem negative it was actually a really big lesson that I needed to learn. Opportunity and work experience is great, but if you are not keeping yourself healthy you can’t put your best foot forward at the opportunities you actually attend. Plus, being so tired that you miss a work opportunity because you didn’t take the time to plan your schedule accordingly is no one’s fault but your own. It is okay to want to be a part of everything like working at every event and going on adventures with friends, but I also needed to learn myself and know the limits to how much energy I have. So because of this summer experience I have learned something very important: time management and how to be honest with myself. I learned that sometimes it is okay to say no, it is okay to give some time to yourself. It is better to keep yourself healthy and organized so that you can do better for yourself in your work life and personal life.

Don’t get me wrong my days on the job aren’t super stressful – for example here is a picture of my boss giving a co-worker a massage while were waiting for the rain to die down.

The featured image is from a work trip I did with 3 of my co-workers to film a wedding up in northern Michigan.

One thought on “My Biggest Challenge #5

Hi Taylor. The photos and videos that you shared are beautiful! I cannot imagine how great the rest of your summer work is, but I am sure that the clients are loving it. I really enjoyed reading your post about your supervisors, Brandon and Evis. It seems like you learned a lot from both of them and have made great connections. Evis’ lesson about strong and effective communication is transferable to future positions. Your supervisors’ support and guidance suggests that they might be a potential professional mentor moving forward. It can be helpful as you continue navigating the film production industry!