NYC Takeaways | 6

Wow! What a journey it’s been. In just two months, I learned so much – not only about myself, but about what I want to be doing/not doing for the rest of my life!

So, for my sixth and FINAL blog post, here are six takeaways:

1. I’M SO THANKFUL! Honestly, without the financial support from the Hub, I wouldn’t have been able to have the summer I did. Thank you guys for being amazing and giving me the opportunity to experience a new place with new people and have the chance to work hard at what I’m passionate about. <3 This brings me to point two.
  2. I LOVE THE INDUSTRY IM IN. Although I spent my summer on set CATERING, it was still really cool to witness the makings of a movie and how meticulous the whole process really is. I also learned my favorite part of production is before it even begins! Don’t get me wrong, being on set was fun for an hour or two, but when you’re working 12 hour shifts (8 for me), 5 days a week, it can be a bit tiring! Through this journey, I’ve come to realize that I love story-telling and development (pre-production) and believe that is where I can shine my best!
  3. CONNECTIONS ARE HELLA IMPORTANT. I always heard this one from the SAC department, but I never realized how true it was until…I found out that more than half the people working on set were working there because they knew the producer or the director, or someone else who was involved with the film.  Once I found this out, I wasted no time in getting to know everyone and having them get to know me.
  4. BUT SO IS HAVING TALENT (AND PASSION). Both fortunately and unfortunately, having connections alone won’t make you successful in the film industry. Having a connection might put your foot through the door, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ll easily be replaced with someone who does. With that said, I made sure to use my time on set wisely by making myself useful and by learning about everything and anything I could!
  5. LIFE IS HARD – BUT I CAN DEAL WITH IT. Honestly, after the bed bugs incident happened, I considered dropping my internship and moving back to Michigan…But what I came to realize is that in life, I’m gonna be presented with a number of challenges and adversities – and sure, I can choose the easier route and run away from them, but I can also do what’s harder and face my problems. And that’s exactly what I decided to do!
  6. NYC IS NOT THE PLACE FOR ME. With the never-ending hustle and bustle coming from the city, I learned very early on that this place is too hectic for me. Being from the middle-of-nowhere in Michigan, obviously NYC was a big culture shock, but personality-wise as well, I’m someone who is more chill and prefers a calmer environment (maybe LA?). Still NYC, thanks for the memories!